Why Become a Student at Anderson's Karate?
A better working body; a sharper, more focused mind; a stronger sense of self confidence; more self discipline; the ability to physically defend yourself — who wouldn’t want these things for themselves?
Practicing martial arts at Anderson's Karate in Fenton, MI is about physical fitness, character development (self-esteem, self confidence, focus and concentration, self discipline) and self defense, not just kicking and punching.
People often think that martial arts is about fighting, but that’s not what we emphasize at Anderson's Karate. Instead, we focus on the personal development aspects of martial arts because that’s why most people participate.
Almost half of the 6 million participants in martial arts are children ages 6-17, according to statistics from the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association. And it’s not unusual for the whole family to get involved — about one-third of the students are adults.
No matter what discipline of martial arts you choose, whether it is karate, kung fu, taekwondo, jujitsu, judo, aikido, tai chi, kendo or another one of the many forms of martial arts, the styles may differ, but the benefits remain the same.
Universal Benefits of Martial Arts
For a list of specific benefits for various age groups, visit the adult and children program pages on this site. Here are some universal benefits of martial arts:
- Improved physical fitness: Make no mistake. Martial arts is a great workout! It is a total body workout — your stamina, muscle tone, flexibility, balance and strength will all show signs of improvement.
- Enhanced self-esteem: By learning these skills and improving your physical condition, you become more comfortable in all situations — whether you’re in danger or simply doing a task that takes you beyond your comfort zone. Kids have a new sense of self confidence, making them virtually “bully proof.”
- Increased focus and concentration: From the very first day of class, students are challenged to think as much as they act. Learning the forms and movements reinforces working memory. That’s why the Mayo Clinic specifically counts the martial arts of karate and taekwondo among the effective therapies for ADD and ADHD.
- Increased social skills: Martial arts strongly emphasize self discipline and self control as a core component of its teachings. Self leadership and the ability to deal with others in a mature way is the result.
- Stress relief: Kicking, punching and screaming are a great release, no matter what your age.
- Respect for values: Honesty, courtesy, integrity, perseverance and excellence are some curriculum areas of focus. These qualities help both children and adults become great leaders.
Our mission at Anderson's Karate in Fenton is building strong minds and bodies, and our students range in age from 3 to 80. Please take advantage of special offers and experience the many benefits of martial arts!